Thursday, August 22, 2013

Keep Your Website Updated. #wwow

One of the first things I think an author needs - besides a social media presence - is a website. This is like your home on the web. It reflects you. Your work is here, maybe even a blog. This is where readers will come to learn about you and what other releases you have. So make sure you keep it up to date.

Obviously release days are busy, and getting on your site to make sure it's updated might not be top priority, but it needs to be on your to do list. Too often I visit authors sites weeks after a new release and the new book is still on the coming soon page. I'm not sure why this bothers me so much. Of course I know the book is out and no longer coming soon, but I am also very involved in the book world as an author. A reader might have just read the first book in the series, came to your website and has no idea the book released. And you could be missing out on a sale.

Be redundant on your site, but not too much. Have a blog on there? Add things in the side bar. Like links to
your specific series or genre. Do this on the main page as well, but not on every page. Make sure your site is easy to navigate and not to busy. You want to keep the readers attention, not have them search for things to where they might not return.

If you write multi-genres under one pen name like I do, make sure you have different pages for those. I write contemporary and erotic. If I have a reader who only likes my tamer pieces, I certainly don't want them to think Bound By Pleasure, my BDSM is tame and be wide-eyed disappointed.

Often times when I am doing work on my website, I travel along the bigger authors sites and see the things they've done. I must admit, I love Jill Shalvis's site. Its super cute and easy to use. So if you visit her site and mine, you might find a few similarities.

The last thing I want to hit on, is make sure everything has a place. Don't throw everyone on one page. Keep it organized and easy on the eyes.

* * * * * * 
See ya next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment