Wednesday, October 2, 2013

#WWoW!: Using #Calibre to Manage Your Ebook Collection and Files #MyWANA




It's Wednesday and time for Tammy's Tidbits here at Writer's Words of Wisdom. The last two weeks I talked about using the program Scrivener to help organize all my projects from the research through the editing phases. One part of that program I still haven't mastered yet—converting my final manuscript into all the different ebook formats needed to upload to various retail sites.  

Don't get me wrong. I didn't give up on using Scrivener for conversion of files, but until I work out the process, I found another way to do it...for FREE.



Calibre is program you can download for FREE and use it to organize your entire ebook collection in one place. Not only that, you can convert your files from one format to another and organize them all in one location on your computer.



Here's an introductory video put together by the creator of the program. It's pretty self explanatory on the site, but this video shows you more detail and in real time.




Now I'm going to come right out and say this. Some people use this program, with additional plugins, to remove the digital rights management (DRM) restrictions from books they've purchased in order to convert them to other file formats to use on different ereaders or actually upload the file to pirate book sites.  This post is in NO WAY supporting this sort of action.  What I want to discuss here today is converting MY OWN manuscripts to the various ebook formats.

With Scrivener, I can create a final document and save as a .doc file. This is the format I use to upload to both Amazon and to Smashwords. My file will then automatically be converted to the formats required for each site. Unfortunately, I can't use any of those files on other sites such as All Romance ebooks and Omnilit.

So what do I do now? Open the .doc file up in Word and the SAVE AS a PDF file.  This is the format I add to my files in Calibre. Once you open the program, you'll see the menu bar at the top where you can add books/files, edit metadata, and convert books. Here is the screen shot of what the conversion page looks like.




Removing the conversion window, this is what my collection looks like so far. I've highlighted the Courtship of the Vampyre files. On the right of the photo, you can see the files I've created from the PDF. Those files I then uploaded to ARe/Omnilit and are now for sale there.




As you can see, creating your own ebooks isn't hard to do when you have access to programs such as Scrivener and Calibre. With a little time and patience, you can be in charge of your own publishing house in no time!

Until next time,
~Tammy


Learn More About Tammy

Tammy Dennings Maggy is a best selling, multi-published poet and erotic romance author with Siren and Sassy Vixen Publishing. Her writing explores many facets of romance from ultimate betrayal to finding your soul mate. Her poetry serves as a companion to her novels and has inspired entire series all on their own. Tammy and her alter egos Lia Michaels and Stephanie Ryan make up the core authors at Sassy Vixen Publishing and together they've created the shared world series Temptations Resort. Look for the first books in that series to come out later this year.

Now happily married to her own Muse and soul mate, she continues to live her dream and act as secretary to all her characters demanding to have their stories told.


Check out:

Tammy's Website
Tammy's Blog
Tammy's Books on BookstrandAmazonBarnes and NobleSmashwords,  and iTunes 
Sassy Vixen Publishing
Friend Tammy on Facebook
Like Tammy's Facebook Author Page
Friend Tammy on Goodreads
Friend Tammy on Pinterest
Follow Tammy on Twitter
Find Tammy's Videos on Youtube


If you'd like to share your experiences in the publishing world, please contact us about setting up a guest appearance. We'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment