Thursday, January 9, 2014

Connect With Your Readers

I've been reading this great book by Kristen Lamb - Rise of The Machines: Human Authors In The Digital World. I'm a little more than halfway through, but right now the biggest thing had has stuck with me is: TALK TO YOUR READERS! Or people on Facebook in general.

Kristen Lamb wrote something in the book that made a light bulb go off in my head that said, "Duh!"

To be honest, most of my time spent on my Facebook account is interacting with authors. I like their status's,
comment on them, etc. And I am going to admit, when non-author status's come through, I don't comment on them as much, because when I log in to my Lacey Wolfe account, I'm in author mode. It isn't that I don't care what they are saying. I do. I just don't interact.

Wrong.

I should be. Kristen Lamb made a great point. We are on social media to be social. And I was (I'm stressing was, I've changed my ways), that was on there to just be social with other writers. It's important to like the status's and comment on non-writers stuff. Why? Besides the obvious--to hope they like us and one day might want to read us--but to be social. To find new people and those we can build strong friendships with.

I am more than an author. I am a mother, daughter, wife. I have six cats and a spoiled rotten dog full of anxiety. I like to watch the SyFy channel. I just started to crochet. I love to wash clothes but hate to fold them. See where I am going?

When you get on Facebook or any social media, take a step back and remember, while you are an awesome writer, you're also so much more. And use that to connect with your readers/friends.

To learn a little more, check out Kristen Lamb's blog HERE and go on twitter under the hashtag #MyWANA. WANA stands for We Are Not Alone. And I can't recommend her book enough.

-Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment